Geek Week Rome! successfully added to your calendar!
Geek Week Rome!
Geek Week Rome is a community-wide celebration of technology and innovation in Rome, Georgia organized by the Technology SquareTable of the Greater Rome Chamber. During Geek Week we want everyone to know that being a geek is cool! This week-long celebration is a chance for everyone to gather around common geeky activities. This week-long celebration is a chance for everyone to gather around common geeky activities.
The great thing about Geek Week is that anyone can participate! We want all parts of the community to get involved, including businesses, schools, civic clubs, non-profits, and even hobbyists.
Are you a small business or a large employer?
- Plan fun activities in your office! For example:
- A geek costume contest
- A digital scavenger hunt
- Any to explore new, innovative, creative, or technology relate stuff!
Local schools can plan activities, too!
- Geek Week is also about encouraging our next generation of tinkerers, engineers, mad scientists, and entrepreneurs to explore and pursue careers in STEM-related fields (science, technology, engineering, and math).
Are you part of a civic club, community group, or non-profit?
- Plan some activities during Geek Week to explore how technology and innovation can meet social needs and create positive change in the community.
Are you a geeky hobbyist?
- Geek Week is also a chance for people with geeky hobbies like web design, gaming, robotics, and ‘making’ to their own activities as well. If you have a robot, a 3D printer, Geek Week is the time to show off your wares.
During Geek Week, the Technology SquareTable will host a few fun community-wide events, and everyone is invited:
- Kickoff: Monday, September 17th. 10:00am. Stuenkel Conference Room – Floyd Medical Center. See some geeky videos. Test your wits with Geek Jeopardy. Bring your "Geek Twin.” Get the rules for the Community-Wide Egg Drop Competition. Get your geek gear together! Click Here to register: http://tiny.cc/bblf2w
- Egg Drop Competition: Wednesday, September 18th. 10:00am. Barron Stadium in downtown Rome. Teams will compete to construct a device that enables a raw egg to be dropped from the top of Barron Stadium without being cracked when it hits the ground. Click Here to register: http://tiny.cc/aclf2w
- Cookout: Friday, September 20th 11:00am – 1:00pm Heritage Park. Admission is $5.00. We will culminate the week with a in a picnic celebration. Come for a good time with fellow geeks and free giveaways provided by various technology vendors. Please RSVP in advance. Click Here to register: http://tiny.cc/ndlf2w
Help Spread the Word!
During Geek Week, help us spread an appreciation and enthusiasm for how technology positively impacts our lives, whether at work, at play, or in the community.
Help us showcase all of the amazing technology an innovation that is happening in Rome, Georgia.
The History of Geek Week:
Geek Week in Rome, Georgia originated two years ago within the Floyd Medical Center I.T. Department. This group of technologists just wanted to have some fun activities that would allow them to celebrate the I.T. department in a uniquely geeky way.
As a member of the Greater Rome Chamber’s “Technology SquareTable,” these folks wanted to grow Geek Week into a community-wide event that would encourage others to participate. This year, the Technology SquareTable is excited by to fully embrace Geek Week as a community-wide celebration of all things geeky. Now we just need you to get involved!